Overactive thyroid. Too much thyroid hormone is produced, or auto immune condition causes inflammation of thyroid.
|Heat Intolerance||Menstrual||Bulging Eye(s)||Weight Loss|
|High basal temp||Disturbance||Sweating|
- POSSIBLE CAUSES
- Long term stress, heavy metal toxicity, virus
- Graves’ disease: – autoimmune disease – enlarged thyroid and production of thyroid antibodies.
- Hashimoto’s disease: – Autoimmune disorder whereby the body produces a specialized white blood cell which attacks the thyroid gland.
Some suggested treatments are as follows: Treatment of hyperthyroidism can be difficult but persistence pays off.
I. Dietary Changes
- Reduce or eliminate gluten, increase brassicas such as broccoli, non GMO soy.
- Reduce or eliminate Aspartame. Aspartame is metabolized into formaldehyde.
- The toxicity in the liver and other organs may exacerbate autoimmune illnesses
II. Natural Supplements – can work with persistence and dedication to balance the thyroid. The first 3 below are required by most people and benefits will usually be noticed within one month:
- IF-C for Inflammation, heat rising and immune balancing.
- Adrenal Support
- Chinese Mineral Chi Tonic
Other herbs that are specific for hyperthyroidism are:
- Melissa officinalis (Lemon Balm): helps normalize an overactive thyroid. It reduces TSH levels by attaching to and inhibiting receptor sites. Contains flavonoids, phenolic acids and other useful compounds that regulate the thyroid. Blocks the activity of antibodies that stimulate the thyroid gland and cause Graves’ disease, which is a common form of hyperthyroidism.
- Leonurus cardiaca (Motherwort): acts as a natural beta-blocker and helps control tachycardia (high heart rate) and palpitations. It has some anti-thyroid activity, making it beneficial for hyperthyroid conditions.
Benoit & Associates Health Education makes a calming liquid herbal preparation of Lemon Balm and Blue Vervain which has proved successful
- Lycopus virginica (Bugleweed): can help manage mild hyperthyroidism. This particular herb reduces the amount of hormone that is produced by the thyroid. Studies have found that it helps decrease TSH levels and impairs thyroid hormone synthesis.Moreover, it helps lower T4 levels and blocks the conversion of T4 to T3.
Other formulas, combinations or single herbs to choose from:
- HS-C, Magnesium Complex, STR-C or STR-J, Master Gland , TSII
- Verbena Hastata (Blue Vervain): calming to the nervous system
- Avoid supplements with iodine
- PABA (Vitamin B family), B12, B6 ( will be provided in above herbal formulas)
III. Medication – last resort – may end up hypothyroid & on drugs for life
- Beta blockers
- Anti-thyroid medications – sometimes will work if doctor is skilled – should only need 6 month treatment if it works
- Radioactive iodine – kills the thyroid gland, then person will usually be on thyroid prescitptions for life
© 250-748-6802 Author of The Paw Paw Program
Dr. David Brownstein – Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can’t Live Without It